Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Vector Vector

In order to release my frustrations, I decided to do something that would distract me from my problems. This was actually inspired by AJ and Pueyo a few months ago and I promised them I would learn it before I went back home again. Well, since finals are almost over and I got little else to do, I guess its time I got started. Its called vector art.

Now, the great pictures editor will not only edit images but also create images of his own. In technical terms ,Vector art is like using equations to represent shapes, lines, and figures. So no matter how you resize the image, quality will not be lost because the shapes, lines, and figures adjust themselves accordingly. Most modern anime are done using vector are. Other examples include flash programs, cartoons (powerpuff girls? Dexters Lab.)

Here's a more accurte description from the wiki...

Vector graphics (also called geometric modeling or object-oriented graphics) is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and polygons, which are all based upon mathematical equations to represent images in computer graphics. It is used by contrast to the term raster graphics, which is the representation of images as a collection of pixels (dots).

I got it right didnt I? Hehe... did the first explaination without searching the web... so give me a little credit, okey?

Opposite to vector art are resterized images, bitmaps, jpegs. A resterized image is made up of a rectangular grid of pixels. Resizing, filtering, and other forms of manipulation could in fact distort or lessen the qualtiy of the image.

Here's a comparison:

Notice how the image's pixels show up when zoomed in on a bitmap while the vector image on top retains its anime like quality. Hehe...

The bitmaps that im used to working with are usually done using paint or photoshop. I found out that you actually use a different set of tools to create vector images. Programs include Macromedia Flash (Im used to this, see banner on top), Adobe Illustrator (I used this before but never had a grasp of ow it really works, Manga Editor (1.27 Gb, too big of a download for one night), and last but not the least, the very cool Inkscape (Its just 20+ Mb, and its free... click link if you like.)

For the past few minutes I've been trying to learn the basics without reading the tutorials. Maybe I'll read them tomorrow. For the meantime, I've come up with my very first vector art image... (excluding the TNB graphix editor poster w/c I made using Flash.) For this image, I only used Inkscape for the tracing of the bitmap and the basic manipulation of the shapes... then exported the png file and used photoshop to compile the jpeg file. (oops, too much geeky stuff... hehe...)

Its not that good but it made my one happy bloke... hehe... need more time to familiarize self with the different functions...

Sa office po yan and that's me... hehe... actually I hand-drew (actually mouse-drew) only a few lines and shapes. The rest are computer generated. If you cant do something yourself you must find the right tools to help you. Hehe...

Now for my next project... eheh... astig... shading and colors naman next... plus more advanced lines and mouse strokes...

I'll do my best. Ganbatte Iyan-Taichou!!! \(",)/

Ayan... pinalitan... hehe... sana tama na.... weee... thanks...

Just downloaded Adobe Illustrator (363 Mb) and used some tools to mouse-out my Japanese name, Shisaru (Caesar).... Hehehe... I hope I got it right...

No comments: